The region where today is Purikali is inhabited for at least
25,000 years. Archaeological studies attest the human presence since
the Pleistocene. The village of Purikali is considered to be founded by
Muslim traders during the fourteenth century, close to the ruins of Wisnupuran, the "temple of Vishnu",
where an aboriginal people, called Hubian, lived. The city grew considerably during the fifteenth century under the
rule of the sultan of Rajakaoplan. The name of
the city has its origin in Sanskrit and means "Palace of the River".
In 1532 it was destroyed by Portuguese soldiers. In the same place, the village of São Gabriel do Hube was built in 1557. The Portuguese colonization started in the archipelago.
In the seventeenth century the Muslim king of Bandajaya, Ahmad Uninpéraing, invaded and reconquered the city which was renamed again as Purikali. The great mosque of Kuwat Wijaya ("the Dome of the Victory") was built in the north of the city to celebrate the event. The period of Portuguese colonization has ended. The king Ismail Rajasena built a new palace in Purikali and, since then, it became the capital of Kaupelan.
lies on a plain between the Bay of Masar in the south and the stone
mountain, an extinct volcano, which due to its shape is called
Gajawatu, the "Stone Elephant", in the north. It is crossed by the
river Hubi that has its source in the lake on the top of the mountain.
The Hubian people used the word anga
for the bay and belahu for
the lake. Nowadays, these words mean respectively "south" and "north"
The city grew fast specially after the independence of Kaupelan with the influx of peasants and migrants of other islands and immigrants from Indonesia. In the seventies, refugees from East Timor came to the city.
With a population of more than one million inhabitants, the city faced a lot of social and demographic problems. At the end of the century, many public actions were done to improve the life in the big city. The subway started to be built in the decade of 1980 and the new international airport Nuno Kautamakuwa was inaugurated in the 1990's. Little by little the problems of the great metropolis were being solved. Currently Purikali is quite a cosmopolitan city with many hotels and restaurants with international standards.
Touristic Attractions: Saint Gabriel cathedral; Fort Saint Edward; Royal Palace (Kèratun Weru); Parliament (Haimauman); National Theater; Casino, National Museum; Hubian Palace; Central Station; Wisnupuran Tower; Saint Francis Church; Bandanese Forum (folkloric dance show); Islamic Centre; Uninpèraing Mosque; Market Street; Gajawatu Mountain Tram; Aquarium; Northern Line Train (to Bandajaya); War Museum; Zoo; Art Museum; National Stadium; FICT Headquarter. Shopping Centres: Sultandahen; Watera; Kuruwan; Raja Bazaar.
click on the map to enlarge
PURIKALI PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
Bus service: Every 20 min, from 4:00 am to 1:00 am, except from 7:00 am to 10:00 am and from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm (rush time), where it is every 10 min. A few bus lines operate from 1:00 am to 4:00 am, every hour.
Subway service: Every 10 min, from 4:00 am to 1:00 am, except from 7:00 am to 10:00 am and from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm (rush time), where it is every 5 min
|Terminal South (Anga)
||Terminal West (Barat)
||Terminal North (Belahu)
||Terminal East (Timur)
Sombo Bin Farid
Banda 16 Disembar